MORE ABOUT ME

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

WW114: ABC'S, GARFUNKLE AND OATES - 17th and OAK versus GEEK MY WALL...the FINAL WORDS.......

THIS IS    A-N-O-T-H-E-R     RE-POST! ----May 22nd....

OK...the latest.........
I am honestly not sure WHAT to say at this point...........so here is the NEWEST info as it has been presented to me!
AGAIN......I am NOT an investigative journalist, so keep that in mind.....

A few weeks ago.......I posted this item:

1.) I enjoy these graphic posters from Geek My WalL - pop culture icons depicted in a very graphic way - using typography to spell out a quote from the character......




Great...I posted it here. 
BUT THAT ISNT THE END.....OOOOOOOH NO.
Last week I got a comment at the bottom of my blog this week by Pete Ware at www.17thandoak.co.uk
He was really upset that someone I featured is ripping off his work. As he puts it:

"The similarities between the work are too close to be coincidental. Especially as this person has only been operational for a month. My work has been featured on many blogs and magazines and has been 'out there' for a long time so I believe that this person has seen it and figured they could make money out of copying it. I'm all for taking inspiration from other artists, it's what keeps creative juices flowing but blatantly copying them is not on! Especially as I've put a lot of hard work into my art as I take it very seriously and the thought of someone jumping on the back of my success angers me! It's unoriginal and lazy!"


So here is 17th and Oak's work:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/17thandOak?ref=l2-visit-shop 
http://www.etsy.com/listing/124395887/x-large-size-indiana-jones-typography?ref=shop_home_active

So....yes.....it is similar in many ways.
I can see why Pete is upset, I would be too!
Unfortunately there is no way to say whether his came first and were copied or not......so i did a little research and found Laura Sweet of "It's Hip, It's here".
Laura also posted the Geek my wall versions and was confronted with the same moral dilemma - she handled it with professional blogging journalism.....

"I completely understand your frustration as a fellow creative whose personal work and blog posts are often duplicated. However, in giving this artist the benefit of the doubt, I asked her if she was aware of your work. She says she was not until after someone brought your work to her attention following my post. She claims to have been inspired by these pieces on deviant art. t is not uncommon for certain styles to be very similar and many people are playing with type. I can only take her word for it.

That said, in an effort to prove her originality, she is going to check your store before proceeding with any new art to make sure they are different. And let me commend you on your lovely work, of which I was not aware until after I wrote this post."
http://zombiemedia75.deviantart.com/art/Star-Wars-Yoda-Typography-Treatment-308305505?q=gallery%3Azombiemedia75&qo=3
http://subdio27.deviantart.com/art/A-Clockwork-Orange-169634788

YES! I  stole words directly from lovely Laura at "If It's Hip. It's Here"
Sorry Laura! But I really Like the way she handled it.
I thought I had al but handled it, but then yesterday,  Ayse from Geek my Wall commented to me - defending her work.
In the name of fairness I want to share her rebuttal.....and then we can be done with this!

"I don't want to make things ''uglier'' so I won't blame anyone about this. I'm just writing this reply to make something clear. First of all nor me or Pete invented typography. There are so many typographic works made with ''same technique''. So results would be identically same.

At the beginning I felt guilty and even considered re-creating my works. Cause he said he was selling these for over one year. However, when I checked his history on Etsy I realised that his sales start on the very last months of 2012.

On the other hand, I was selling my posters locally in this web site. Some of my listings are still active there but actually I quit there. Thanks heaven, I never relisted these, so you can accept the dates as a proof of my argument. First listing's date is 12th April 2012.

http://www.sahibinden.com/en/listing/alisveris-hobi-oyuncak-action-figure-star-wars-han-solo-45-x-30-cm-orijinal-typography-poster-81915517/detail/

http://www.sahibinden.com/en/listing/alisveris-guzellik-kozmetik-profesyonel-ekipmanlar-star-wars-yoda-45-x-30-cm-orijinal-typography-poster-82396148/detail/

In fact, I had to be upset about this but anyway, I don't have time for such things. I spend my time creating artworks and designs. I'm also painting stuff with my style (But I don't think I invented painting or my style. Nor I have right to accuse someone about it). : ) They will be up soon.

At the end, people will decide whose work is better.  Kind Regards, Ayse. T. Werner"

So there is that!
She is defending herself...and I don't blame her! I would too!!
Who is right?????? I DONT KNOW!!!!!

BUT my FINAL bottom line on this one is STILL THE SAME!

I know the frustration that Pete and Ayse are talking about!
I really have felt it myself!!!!
But the thing is, there are a finite number of original ideas out there.
Ya......I think it is possible for two people to have the same idea.
I still believe that eventually the cream rises to the top!
It could be both of these talented graphic artists - I HAVE NO IDEA!!
I am still sure that eventually all the people who lack REAL creativity will eventually move on!
**For the record, I think both sets of work have their merits....and if they both were clueless of the others existence......they can be proud of their works individually!
Truly great work transcends these types of situations!!!

SUUUUPER Sucktastic for everyone involved right now?
YOU BET!
But hopefully it makes everyone better as artists, and stronger as people.

So that is all that I will say about it.
You decide whose work YOU like better and go BUY it.
THE END!

Ok guys....Hopefully that is ALL on this one!!

Here again is the rest of the post on this day:

2.) Blossom Dearie. She is dead. But I just found her. She was an American jazz singer and pianist, "often performing in the bebop genre and remembered for her light and girlish voice. One of the last supper club performers, she performed regular engagements in London and New York City over many years." (thanks Wikipedia!!)
Ok...I am just gonna let you judge:


She has such a nice clear sound...I like it a lot!!
Here she is singing a nice Broadway song:

and here is something else:
JUST SUPER!!

3.) Fred and Friends XYZ blocks. I WANT THESE SOOOOOOO BAD:


Pick them up at Indigo!!

4.) You like your boozey girly drinks like I do??? TRy one of these fab flavours of sweetness in your next martini!!!


YUUUUUMY!!! I have had the Whipped Cream - and it is deelish! (and soooo sweet)

5.) Garfunkel and Oates. So you like comedy? You also love music??? So you like funny ladies......well......I give you these two!!!! SO FUNNY!!!!
(NOT FOR YOUNG EARS!!!!)



9 comments:

  1. To the typography prints. These are rip-offs of work I have been doing for over a year now!

    If you look at my website: www.17thandoak.co.uk

    My Etsy store: www.etsy.com/shop/17thandoak

    My Facebook page: www.facebook.com/17thandoak

    The similarities between the work are too close to be coincidental. Especially as this person has only been operational for a month.

    My work has been featured on many blogs and magazines and has been 'out there' for a long time so I believe that this person has seen it and figured they could make money out of copying it.

    I'm all for taking inspiration from other artists, it's what keeps creative juices flowing but blatantly copying them is not on! Especially as I've put a lot of hard work into my art as I take it very seriously and the thought of someone jumping on the back of my success angers me! It's unoriginal and lazy!

    Pete Ware
    17th and Oak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pete. I am truly sorry for this situation.....and have tried to remedy it in this post.
    I am an artist, and do it full-time. I UNDERSTAND why you are so upset, but I am not a journalist, so I really can't do much in this situation! IT SOOOOOOOO SUCKS! I hope people view your work and decide which they like better! Your work is spectacular - and had I stumbled upon it first, I would have happily featured it!
    I will keep following your work, and I wish you all the best in your future endeavours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job handling a difficult situation, Rob. But more importantly, remember that we boycott Indigo, and most importantly, make sure to have lots of those booze bottles for July!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks EB.
    Shall I now craft an apology for supporting Indigo???
    (Although I was supporting the company that makes those cute blocks.......that are simply available at Indigo...)
    Perhaps AFTER I finish my bottle of whipped cream booze!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rob, thanks for featuring my work. (I wish you could tell me, so I would tell about your blog to my folks.)

    I don't want to make things ''uglier'' so I won't blame anyone about this. I'm just writing this reply to make something clear.

    First of all nor me or Pete invented typography. There are so many typographic works made with ''same technique''. So results would be identically same.

    At the beginning I felt guilty and even considered re-creating my works. Cause he said he was selling these for over one year. However, when I checked his history on Etsy I realised that his sales start on the very last months of 2012.

    On the other hand, I was selling my posters locally in this web site. Some of my listings are still active there but actually I quit there. Thanks heaven, I never relisted these, so you can accept the dates as a proof of my argument. First listing's date is 12th April 2012.

    http://www.sahibinden.com/en/listing/alisveris-hobi-oyuncak-action-figure-star-wars-han-solo-45-x-30-cm-orijinal-typography-poster-81915517/detail/

    http://www.sahibinden.com/en/listing/alisveris-guzellik-kozmetik-profesyonel-ekipmanlar-star-wars-yoda-45-x-30-cm-orijinal-typography-poster-82396148/detail/

    In fact, I had to be upset about this but anyway, I don't have time for such things. I spend my time creating artworks and designs. I'm also painting stuff with my style (But I don't think I invented painting or my style. Nor I have right to accuse someone about it). : ) They will be up soon.

    At the end, people will decide whose work is better.

    Kind Regards,

    Ayse. T. Werner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there Ayse.
    Thanks for the email..........WHAT A TERRIBLE KERFUFFLE!!!
    It's true we are all just doing what we do....and sadly sometimes "our style" happens to be similar to another artists! It just sucks. We all want to be totally original!!!
    I feel bad for you, and I feel bad for Pete!
    I think you have a best approach.......to just keep on keeping on!
    I really do enjoy your work, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.
    All the best in your future endeavours!!!!!
    KEEP ON CREATING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Craft me an apology. I will accept a painting to make up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey,

    Just came across this. Thanks for looking into it.

    Yes, I admit I'm very upset and it made me quite angry to start with (sorry about the initial rant) but then I thought, hey, I've got plenty more tricks up my sleeve, why am I worried? I'm not going to deny that that I still think my style has been copied. It's too technically close to be coincidence. The idea of creating a character out of type is not a new one but it's the overall style of the Geek My Wall prints that is too close. I've got 8 years of experience as a commercial designer and 8 years of Art education so my eye is extremely trained to see the technical side of design which is possibly problem at my end because I see what a lot of people wouldn't in the similarities.

    If her prints have been around so long then how come they weren't picked up sooner? I did ALOT of research before I created my prints and I'd never come across them until April 2013. I know this sounds like I'm throwing my toys out of the pram but it is something I've looked into and I would of thought that over a year since being created, they would have a stronger web presence. Mine only really started selling in Jan and it exploded! I was getting a lot of international magazines publishing my work and galleries wanting me to take part in their Typography exhibitions. This all happened in a matter of months with no form of marketing. I just uploaded them to Etsy at the end of last year. Do you see where I'm going with this? How are they only coming to surface now? A link to web page isn't proof of creation in my eyes. With a bit of clever editing, it can be changed.

    Like I said before, it's fine to take inspiration from other artists but I personally would feel very uncomfortable if my artwork was that close to someone else's. I feel uncomfortable now but as this is my living, a good business, whether creative or not, learns to diversify, and that is exactly what I'm going to do.

    I've messaged Geek My Wall personally and we've spoken quite a bit and I've said that I feel uncomfortable and I know she does too but the issue hasn't really been resolved. I've offered to help her create something that is unique to her which we did start doing but the lack of reply recently probably means that she's not bothered. So be it.

    And the end of the day, it's neither here or there who's came first. It's all about how comfortable and original you feel as designer. I now no longer feel unique, but I've never been a one trick pony and my years of experience have taught me that you have to keep things fresh and that is exactly what I'm going to do so watch this space.

    Again, sorry for the rant.

    Pete
    17th and Oak.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, Just wanted to have my final say. Haha.

    And you're right...the cream will rise to the top.

    Cheers
    Pete

    ReplyDelete