MORE ABOUT ME

Friday, September 5, 2014

FOREVER YONGE…..

Howdy friends!
So this is the day…..the first day of The Cabbagetown Arts and Crafts Sale…..


Here are the deets ONE LAST TIME!:

Friday, September 5 from 1.00 - 7.00 p.m.
Saturday, September 6 from 10.00 a.m. - 6.00 p.m.
Sunday, September 7 from 10.00 a.m. - 6.00 p.m.
MORE Information for Visitors



Now, I will be showing prints -- postcards -- AND BRAND NEW WORK!!!
Including this new piece that I am IN LOVE with……it is called "Forever Yonge" and it is themed around Yonge Street here in Toronto…..
Yonge Street - for those of you who are not living here…..let me give you a mini wiki-breakdown…..
Yonge Street (pronounced "young street") is a major arterial route connecting the shores of Lake Ontario in Toronto to Lake Simcoe, a gateway to the Upper Great Lakes. It was formerly the longest street in the world at 1,896 km (1,178 mi). The construction of Yonge Street is designated an Event of National Historic Significance in Canada. Yonge Street was fundamental in the original planning and settlement of western Upper Canada in the 1790s, informing the basis of the concession roads in Ontario today. Long the southernmost leg of Highway 11, linking the capital with northern Ontario, Yonge Street has been referred to as "Main Street Ontario". A large part of the route follows an ancient well-established Aboriginal trail that linked the Lake Ontario waterfront to northern parts of the region. It was also the site of Canada's first subway line.

So now you know! So, as an important part of Toronto, I felt compelled to paint about it….
As with every painting, I start with the "background". In this case the background is meant to mimic the  
mural that was on 'The Uptown Theatre' (which was torn down in the 90's)
(it looked like this)
Do you remember it Torontonians??
Anyways, I thought I needed to make it less like painted brick and more like paired cinderblock. Which means it looked like this:
 STAGE TWO - I add in the 'poster' part.
As usual - the 'poster' part is ALL MY DESIGN……so please don't tell me you remember it! ;-)
No…the street NEVER looked like this….I cobbled together a few of reference photos….and then redrew it…..
I felt the key store to be the focus was Sam the Record Man!

Here is me working on it with a drink in my hand…..
 …and a drink in my mouth…..
IT REALLY HELPED! Don't judge!!!!!!
So here is the painting with more done…..(as you can see, I am almost done the poster part.)

Then….I just age and do the finishing work…..then add the folds and shadows and tape and things…
To finish the piece off I painted a Highway 11 sign, and a piece of paper with the quote:
"Change is inevitable, progress is optional" The quote is from John C. Maxwell.
I like what it says, especially about Yonge Street as is changes each day….

"Forever Yonge", 40" x 30", Acrylic on Wood.
Yup. He's a big boy at 40" tall!!!
Come out and see it in person this weekend at the The Cabbagetown Arts and Crafts Sale!!
(YES! I will have prints in another week! And postcards in Mid-September!!)
See you soon!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment