MORE ABOUT ME

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

BOY TOY REDUX

I don't often repaint images. This image entitled "boy toy" (see below) I painted in 2005. At the time I was still working mostly on my "Etiquette Series". The quote is from Miss Manners. I was happy with the look, but after going to an art-expo, I decided that I should put resin on top to make it BETTER. Resin was super hot, and super new, so I thought it would be good to get in on a trend before it got huge. THIS WAS A MISTAKE!! I applied the shiny resin and it was ruined....and ultimately took away from the piece. This was a great lesson to learn.
Here is the redux which I finished yesterday called "Extraordinary Things". As you can see, it became a total repaint! I also changed the text to make it more updated! I think it is a much stronger painting in 2010! The lessons I learned here were: 
1. NEVER follow a trend, BE the trend
2. Listen EXCLUSIVELY to your own artistic voice and be be honest with your art!
What do you think? Is the new version more dynamic? Or do you prefer the older version?

1 comment: