MORE ABOUT ME

Thursday, April 22, 2010

TOP 10 OFFENSIVE ART SHOW COMMENTS

Hello All!
Well, we are on week 2 of blogging, and as you can see, I have been busy like a bee!
I have been doing a lot of googling as well (you know, no matter how many times I say that it still sounds kinda dirty). Anyways, I found an article that claimed to get your blog noticed, it is good to have "how to" or "top ten" in the title of your post......
So here is my first top 10, which could also be called:
TOP 10 WORST/FUNNIEST THINGS PEOPLE HAVE SAID TO ME AT AN ART SHOW:
(in no particular order)

10. "The art is so much better in Provence,(said as prov-aaaaw-nce) France!" 
     said in my booth to her friend (who also had a Louis Vuitton knock-off purse)

9. "Your mother must be ashamed of you!"
    about the 'etiquette' series - to which I replied "Actually, my mother has a sense of humour."

8. "Your work looks just like so-and-so's." 
    which is sort of like saying "You are completely unoriginal!"

7. "Your work is like such-and-such's - but not as good."
    I know, it is the same as the comment above - but it made me laugh!

6. "No..." (pointing at my booth with a disgusted look)
    said by stringy-haired woman who was walking with Jeanne Beker (from fashion tv)

5. "I bet someone likes your work!"
   read  - "I am dumb and I do not like your work."

4. "your work looks kind of cheap..."
    said TO ME....I wish I would have replied with "so's your momma."

3. "This work is just junky looking!"
    see #4 for what my reply should have been!

2. "Can't you just paint a landscape without ruining it with all the text?"
   if I had a dollar for every time I heard this....I wouldn't need to work - EVER AGAIN!!

1. "You don't LOOK like a starving artist."
   I am not sure this was meant as a put down?! But I think it could still be offensive

Ok, now let it be known, I have a pretty tough skin, so most - if not all, of these comments was kinda funny to me! I am not seeing a therapist about these! So no need to feel bad!!
HOW ABOUT YOU, ARTISTS??? 
What is the worst/funniest thing someone said to you at an art show?

2 comments:

  1. People are such assholes.

    Jeanne Beker's kids used to go to the school I taught at in upper Rosedale in the '90's. She wore the same coat and boots ever day for what seemed like the whole school year. How's that for a Fashion critic's taste and style?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just kinda makes me laugh now.....people are funny!
    Jeanne actually said to her friend - "oh, well, you know art is subjective - there is something for everyone!" Which I thought was nice enough!

    ReplyDelete