MORE ABOUT ME

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

WW117: BEES, DANCE-Y GATSBY and SEDARIS


1.) This BEE cool!!!  Architecture students at the University of Buffalo have built a condo for a colony of honey bees! It is a 7 metre (22 feet) high gleaming silver hexagonal structure, located in a grim industrial zone near the Buffalo River. High in this steel perforated tower the bees reside in a specially designed box to keep them warm. At the base of the tower, there's a viewing platform for those who may want to watch the bees at work! A series of pulleys can lower the hive for the keepers!
COOL!!!



(via www.cbc.ca/strombo via Cindy)

2.) I havent wanted to blog about The Great Gatsby movie until I had seen it. But I have been really enjoying these songs:
Yes...it is a 'jazz' cover of Beyonce's "Crazy in Love"! Thanks to Emeli Sandé and the Bryan Ferry Orchestra. I like it a lot....and then there is this toe tapper:


DAMN YOU FERGIE! I just cant help but like it.
As for the rest of the soundtrack? There are some good alt-poppy tunes.....but I think I need to see the movie for it to make sense!

3.) This one's for my geeks. After spending over a month traveling around Tunisia,  Rä Di Martino hastaken a series of photographs that capture scenes of abandoned star wars film sets. 'No More Stars' is a collection of photos all about Luke Skywalker’s home on Tatooine. 



All the props were constructed out of mud, cement, MDF and aluminum, so the particularly hot and dry climate has kept many parts of the sets intact, or buried under the sand - like an ancient archeological site.
 


Interestingly enough, after the photos were published, Star Wars fans (aka Nerds) spent $11,000 and worked with locals to restore the old set! Check out her website here.

(For more photos also check out petapixel.com)

4.) I read this recipe in the London Free Press this week.....and it made my mouth water.......I guess Foodland Ontario has created a collection of flavour-packed party foods highlighting the season's freshness. I AM GONNA DO THIS ONE!!!
HAM AND BRIE BAGUETTE WITH ASPARAGUS PESTO (Sorry I just had to yell that one)

Ingredients:
6 oz. (170g) asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces (about 1 cup/250 ml)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup (60ml) grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup (60ml) packed coarsely chopped fresh Ontario Basil
3 Tbsp. (45ml) extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. (30ml) toasted pine nuts
Salt and pepper
1 regular or multi-grain baguette
4 oz (125g) brie cheese, sliced
8 oz. (250g) thinly sliced ham

Directions:

Asparagus Pesto: In food processor, process asparagus, garlic, Parmesan cheese, basil, oil, pine nuts, and salt and pepper to taste until puréed, scraping down side of bowl.

Cut baguette into 4 even lengths. Cut each piece in half horizontally. Spread each cut side with asparagus pesto. Top 4 bases with Brie and ham slices. Sandwich with top bread.

Tip: Pesto recipe can easily be doubled and used on pasta or crostini. Store refrigerated in airtight container. Also, pesto can be frozen in 1 Tbsp. (15ml) amounts and stored in airtight container for future use.

Serves 4. THIS seems simple but yum!

5.) If you don't LOVE David Sedaris....and I mean LOOOOVE him, you really should stop reading this blog. Yes. I mean forever. He makes me laugh....he is wickedly funny........and I have been binging on his segments from This American Life. (I think I have talked about this NPR Podcast before with high praise.)
Here is a link to ALL the D.S. pieces on T.A.M. - VERY VERY FUNNY!!!!

If you are a novice Sedaris'er you may enjoy this piece he performed on Letterman a few years ago...

AND if you want something in an interview....I give you this clip from Jon Stewart from last week!

LOVE HIM! 

No comments:

Post a Comment